The move follows revelations of suspected pedophiles targeting children as young as three in nurseries and daycare centers in the French capital.
Paris Mayor Emmanuel Gregoire has launched a special inquiry into the city’s childcare system amid a growing scandal involving allegations of sexual abuse against children as young as three, French media has reported.
The move follows revelations about the scale of abuse in Paris schools: earlier this month, Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau said he had launched investigations into suspected sexual violence at 84 nursery schools, 20 elementary schools, and ten daycare centers.
According to Le Monde and Le Parisien, Gregoire has ordered the creation of a so-called “information and evaluation mission” (MIE) – a body similar to a parliamentary inquiry commission – which will have six months to conduct the probe on the allegations and report on their findings. The announcement came during a City Council session on Wednesday after opposition parties demanded a formal investigation into failures within the city-run extracurricular care network.
The announcement came the same day investigators from the Paris Juvenile Protection Brigade carried out a major operation linked to the scandal: 16 people working in after-school programs at a school in the 7th Arrondissement were detained during coordinated raids. Prosecutors said the suspects, aged 18 to 68, include kindergarten assistants, city education supervisors, and activity leaders employed by City Hall to supervise children before and after classes. Allegations range from rape and sexual assault to sexual exhibitionism and violent behavior.
The issue gained national attention in January when France 2’s Cash Investigation aired undercover footage showing verbal abuse and sexual misconduct in a Paris nursery, prompting suspensions of twelve workers.
The scandal shocked France after reports that some victims were aged as young as three. The Telegraph, which interviewed parents of affected children, reported they were allegedly locked in rooms, sexually abused, and threatened with death if they spoke. Parents, activists, and unions say the crisis exposed systemic problems in childcare: chronic understaffing, precarious contracts, and poor vetting. They also accuse City Hall of transferring problematic workers instead of terminating them.
While former mayor Anne Hidalgo largely kept the complaints out of public view, Gregoire, who was elected in March, pledged transparency, revealing last month that 78 after-school workers had been suspended in 2026, including 31 over suspected sexual misconduct. He repeatedly apologized and acknowledged a “systemic risk” to children, announcing a €20 million ($23 million) emergency reform plan including staff training, surprise inspections and a ban on adults being left alone with children.
France has formally acknowledged a widespread child sexual abuse crisis through multiple state-backed inquiries. CIIVISE, the commission on incest and child sexual violence, estimated in 2024 that 5.4 million adults – about 10% of the population – had suffered sexual abuse as children, with roughly 160,000 minors victimized each year. Another report found around 330,000 children were abused within the French Catholic Church since 1950, involving some 3,000 alleged predator clergy. France also faced criticism for not introducing a fixed age of consent until 2021, when it was set at 15, and 18 for incest.
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy. I Agree