• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Friday, February 20, 2026
  • Login
  • Register
thehopper.news
  • Home
    • Home
    • About
  • Analysis
  • Regions
    • Discussion
    • Africa
    • Asia-Pacific
    • Europe & NATO
    • Americas
    • Russia & Eurasia
    • Middle East & North Africa
  • Themes
  • Intel & Security
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Geopolitics
  • News
    • All
    • Politics
    • World
    FBI to lower requirements for special agents – Reuters

    FBI to lower requirements for special agents – Reuters

    US wants India to buy Venezuelan oil – envoy

    A gesture no one asked for: Ukraine turns the Paralympics into a political circus

    Epstein estate to pay $35 million to settle sex abuse claims

    Epstein estate to pay $35 million to settle sex abuse claims

    African state cancels US-funded vaccine study

    African state cancels US-funded vaccine study

    Kremlin explains why peace treaty talks with Japan are currently ‘impossible’

    Kremlin explains why peace treaty talks with Japan are currently ‘impossible’

    Man killed preparing terrorist attack in Russian city – FSB (VIDEO)

    The fall of an empire? The Windsor’s royal arrest and its consequences

    The fall of an empire? The Windsor’s royal arrest and its consequences

    Trump launches voter-fraud crackdown – media

    Trump launches voter-fraud crackdown – media

    US advised Ukrainian anti-corruption agents on busting Zelensky ‘allies’

    US advised Ukrainian anti-corruption agents on busting Zelensky ‘allies’

No Result
View All Result
thehopper.news
No Result
View All Result
Home News

African state cancels US-funded vaccine study

by Admin
February 20, 2026
in News, Politics, World
0
African state cancels US-funded vaccine study
27
SHARES
108
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Published: February 20, 2026 1:11 pm
Author: RT

The proposed enrollment of thousands of newborns in a hepatitis B trial is “not going to happen,” Guinea Bissau’s foreign minister has said

Guinea-Bissau has stopped a controversial hepatitis B vaccine study funded by the administration of US President Donald Trump after the World Health Organization (WHO) raised ethical concerns about its design.

On Tuesday, the West African country’s foreign minister, Joao Bernardo Vieira, said the government has shut down the trial in response to the concerns.

“It’s not going to happen, period,” he said in an interview, according to Reuters.

The country’s former health minister, Magda Robalo, was a vocal critic of the project. She told the science journal Nature last month that the trial is “not acceptable and it should not go on.”

The study, backed by a $1.6 million grant from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, was designed to enroll about 14,000 newborns in Guinea-Bissau, where hepatitis B rates are among the highest in the world.


READ MORE: Africa is ‘new focus’ of US biolab activities – Moscow

Under the trial, infants would have been randomly allocated the vaccine at birth or at six weeks, a schedule change supported by some researchers but controversial because it would have meant withholding the inoculation from half of the babies at birth.

In a statement last Friday, the WHO denounced the proposed trial as “unethical,” warning that withholding the vaccine could cause “irreversible harm.”

The global health body described the birth-dose vaccine as “an effective and essential public health intervention, with a proven record,” preventing 70–95% of cases of mother-to-child transmission for over three decades.

Researchers from the Guinea-Bissau-based Bandim Health Project, run by the University of Southern Denmark, defended the study’s scientific goals, with Frederik Schaltz-Buchholzer, the lead investigator, saying the debate had shifted toward politics rather than scientific discussion.

Read more

FILE PHOTO.
US biolab activity in Africa: Russia’s country-by-country analysis

The trial had previously been suspended in January pending an ethics review, after the national committee responsible for such research failed to review the protocol in full, according to health officials. Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director-General Jean Kaseya said African health authorities must retain control over research conducted on the continent.

Guinea-Bissau, one of West Africa’s poorest countries, had planned to introduce a birth dose of the hepatitis B vaccine as part of its national schedule by 2028.

Full Article

Tags: Russia Today
Share11Tweet7
Previous Post

Kremlin explains why peace treaty talks with Japan are currently ‘impossible’

Next Post

Epstein estate to pay $35 million to settle sex abuse claims

Admin

Admin

Next Post
Epstein estate to pay $35 million to settle sex abuse claims

Epstein estate to pay $35 million to settle sex abuse claims

thehopper.news

Copyright © 2023 The Hopper New

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

*By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
    • Home
    • About
  • Analysis
  • Regions
    • Discussion
    • Africa
    • Asia-Pacific
    • Europe & NATO
    • Americas
    • Russia & Eurasia
    • Middle East & North Africa
  • Themes
  • Intel & Security
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Geopolitics
  • News

Copyright © 2023 The Hopper New

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.