• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Login
  • Register
thehopper.news
  • Home
    • Home
    • About
  • Analysis
  • Regions
    • Discussion
    • Africa
    • Asia-Pacific
    • Europe & NATO
    • Americas
    • Russia & Eurasia
    • Middle East & North Africa
  • Themes
  • Intel & Security
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Geopolitics
  • News
    • All
    • Politics
    • World
    Iran considering sending enriched uranium to Russia – WSJ

    Iran considering sending enriched uranium to Russia – WSJ

    Ukrainian football player punches conscription officer (VIDEO)

    Britain turns back to China

    Britain turns back to China

    Zelensky urges US negotiators not to ‘give victory’ to Russia

    Poland scraps ‘gender training’ course for military

    Poland scraps ‘gender training’ course for military

    EU in worst crisis ever – Fico

    EU in worst crisis ever – Fico

    Sergey Karaganov: Fear is the only thing the EU understands

    Sergey Karaganov: Fear is the only thing the EU understands

    What was Soros up to in Munich?

    No special treatment for Ukrainian migrants – senior Czech MP

    No special treatment for Ukrainian migrants – senior Czech MP

    Did the Brits try to crash the Ukraine peace talks? (VIDEO)

    Did the Brits try to crash the Ukraine peace talks? (VIDEO)

No Result
View All Result
thehopper.news
No Result
View All Result
Home News

British ‘nuclear umbrella’ won’t protect Europe – Moscow

by Admin
February 17, 2026
in News, Politics, World
0
British ‘nuclear umbrella’ won’t protect Europe – Moscow
27
SHARES
109
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Published: February 17, 2026 9:24 am
Author: RT

Russia will react accordingly to the expansion of the UK’s nuclear deterrent, Ambassador Andrey Kelin has said

The British ‘nuclear umbrella’ will not provide extra security to its NATO allies in Europe, Russian Ambassador to the UK Andrey Kelin has said.

Discussions about the continent developing its own nuclear deterrent have accelerated following White House announcements that the US would be scaling back its security commitments to its European allies, while focusing on defending the homeland and containing China.

Last year, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he wants his country to be covered by the ‘nuclear umbrella’ of the UK and France, which are the only two nations in Europe to possess such weapons. Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson announced in January that talks on similar protections have been underway between Stockholm and London.

Kelin told the Russian newspaper Izvestia on Tuesday that it is “obvious that the British ‘nuclear umbrella’ will not be able to provide any additional material security guarantees” to Europe.

Read more

FILE PHOTO.
UK and German military officials admit ‘hard choices’ on budgets ahead

The authorities in Moscow are closely monitoring the moves by “states pursuing an overtly anti-Russian policy,” he said.

“The possibility of the expansion of nuclear safeguards will be taken into account in our military planning as well as in further discussions of the strategic stability issues,” the ambassador added.

Britain’s nuclear deterrent, which has remained committed to NATO since 1962, consists of 225 warheads carried by four Vanguard-class submarines. Last year, the UK government also announced plans to purchase 12 F-35 fighter jets from the US, which would be capable of carrying out nuclear strike missiles.

“The strengthening of such potential apparently instills in London an illusory hope of leadership in ensuring European security,” Kelin noted.

During his speech at the Munich Security Conference last week, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer claimed that Russia could be ready to use military force against NATO “by the end of this decade.” He insisted that it is “vital” for the UK and France, which is not part of the bloc’s Nuclear Planning Group, to work together in the field of nuclear weapons.


READ MORE: The war party takes Munich

Earlier in February, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov reiterated that Moscow has “no intention of attacking Europe. There is no reason to do so.” However, NATO would face “a full-fledged military response” if it uses force against Russia first, he warned.

Full Article

Tags: Russia Today
Share11Tweet7
Previous Post

Russia-US-Ukraine peace talks: Who is facing off in Geneva?

Next Post

Putin aide urges retaliation to ‘Western piracy’

Admin

Admin

Next Post
Putin aide urges retaliation to ‘Western piracy’

Putin aide urges retaliation to ‘Western piracy’

thehopper.news

Copyright © 2023 The Hopper New

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

*By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
    • Home
    • About
  • Analysis
  • Regions
    • Discussion
    • Africa
    • Asia-Pacific
    • Europe & NATO
    • Americas
    • Russia & Eurasia
    • Middle East & North Africa
  • Themes
  • Intel & Security
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Geopolitics
  • News

Copyright © 2023 The Hopper New

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.