• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • Login
  • Register
thehopper.news
  • Home
    • Home
    • About
  • Video
    • Discussion
  • Geopolitics
  • Intel & Security
  • Foreign Affairs
  • News
    • All
    • Politics
    • World
    Putin’s interview on shared China–Russia history and future (FULL TEXT)

    Putin’s interview on shared China–Russia history and future (FULL TEXT)

    Russia and China ‘united in our vision’ – Putin

    Putin and Xi to lay foundations for a new world order in Beijing

    Putin and Xi to lay foundations for a new world order in Beijing

    From jazz to metal: SandlerFest to bring 150 bands to Moscow (VIDEO)

    From jazz to metal: SandlerFest to bring 150 bands to Moscow (VIDEO)

    Rubio hands USAID over for final termination

    How EU elites hijacked this little country’s independence

    How EU elites hijacked this little country’s independence

    The fall of the Citadel: The turning point that crushed Hitler’s ambitions

    The fall of the Citadel: The turning point that crushed Hitler’s ambitions

    German unemployment hits ten-year high

    German unemployment hits ten-year high

    Ukraine takes new step towards banning its largest Christian church

    Ukraine takes new step towards banning its largest Christian church

    EU state pledges to outpace US in NATO military spending

    EU state pledges to outpace US in NATO military spending

No Result
View All Result
thehopper.news
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Rwandan genocide survivors unhappy with UN court ruling

by Admin
August 9, 2023
in News, Politics, World
0
Rwandan genocide survivors unhappy with UN court ruling
27
SHARES
108
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Published: August 9, 2023 7:47 pm
Author: RT

The 88-year-old war crimes suspect Felicien Kabuga is to be suspended indefinitely due to health issues

A group of Rwandan genocide survivors has criticized a UN court ruling that ordered the release of an alleged financier of the massacre, Felicien Kabuga, because he is unfit to stand trial.

Judges at the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT) on Monday directed the war crimes trial of 88-year-old Kabuga to be suspended indefinitely after medical examinations revealed last month that he suffers from dementia. 

The IRMCT also dismissed plans for an alternate trial procedure for the former businessman for his purported involvement in the genocide, during which extremist Hutu factions killed more than 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus within a span of 100 days.

Naphtali Ahishakiye, the executive secretary of the group representing genocide survivors, expressed disappointment with the tribunal’s verdict on Tuesday, saying they are “extremely angry.”

“The ruling to potentially release Kabuga is a deliberate insult to the deep wounds that genocide survivors suffer,” Ahishakiye told AFP.

Francine Uwamariya, a genocide survivor who said she had lost her entire family in the massacre, argued that the trial should have gone ahead even without Kabuga.

“He was the planner and financier of the genocide. The court appears to be on the side of the killer when it should be neutral,” Uwamariya is quoted by the Associated Press as saying.

Kabuga was arrested in France in May 2020 after evading justice for nearly three decades. He was charged with inciting the mass killings through his broadcaster, Radio Television Libre des Milles Collines (RTLM).

Read more

This court sketch made on May 10, 2023, shows former Rwandan gendarme Philippe Hategekimana (R), naturalised French in 2005 under the name Philippe Manier, accused of participating in massacres of Tutsi civilians, during his trial at a courthouse in Paris.
France jails former policeman for genocide

He has been on trial since late 2020. However, in March, The Hague Court agreed to pause his trial while his health was evaluated.

In June, the war crimes court proposed setting up an alternative procedure for Kabuga’s prosecution that would have allowed evidence to be heard without the possibility of a conviction after determining that he was unwell.

On Monday, the appeal court judges rejected the proposal, with IRMCT chief prosecutor Serge Brammertz calling for the ruling to be “respected, even if the outcome is dissatisfying.”

Ahishakiye responded by saying the group was considering cutting ties with the criminal court due to the outcome of Kabuga’s case.

Full Article

Tags: Russia Today
Share11Tweet7
Previous Post

US threatens Central Asian country

Next Post

Northern Ireland police release officers’ names in ‘monumental’ breach

Admin

Admin

Next Post

Northern Ireland police release officers’ names in ‘monumental’ breach

thehopper.news

Copyright © 2023 The Hopper New

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

*By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
    • Home
    • About
  • Video
    • Discussion
  • Geopolitics
  • Intel & Security
  • Foreign Affairs
  • News

Copyright © 2023 The Hopper New

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.