• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Friday, August 29, 2025
  • Login
  • Register
thehopper.news
  • Home
    • Home
    • About
  • Video
    • Discussion
  • Geopolitics
  • Intel & Security
  • Foreign Affairs
  • News
    • All
    • Politics
    • World

    NATO country to scrap swastika – media

    Made in China, sold worldwide: How Beijing is quietly arming 44 countries

    Made in China, sold worldwide: How Beijing is quietly arming 44 countries

    WATCH Russian naval drone take out Ukrainian warship

    WATCH Russian naval drone take out Ukrainian warship

    US tells Denmark to ‘calm down’ over Greenland

    US tells Denmark to ‘calm down’ over Greenland

    Young Ukrainians rushing to leave the country – border official (VIDEO)

    EU mulling ‘neutral’ countries for potential Ukraine ceasefire role – Politico

    EU mulling ‘neutral’ countries for potential Ukraine ceasefire role – Politico

    Brussels wants stronger infrastructure security after Ukraine pipeline attack

    Brussels wants stronger infrastructure security after Ukraine pipeline attack

    Exiled Moldovan politician faces extradition ahead of key election

    Exiled Moldovan politician faces extradition ahead of key election

    Ukraine conflict is “Modi’s war” – Trump aide

    Ukraine conflict is “Modi’s war” – Trump aide

    Kremlin dismisses NYT ‘hoax’

No Result
View All Result
thehopper.news
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Ukraine begins ‘main thrust’ of counteroffensive – NYT

by Admin
July 26, 2023
in News, Politics, World
0
Ukraine begins ‘main thrust’ of counteroffensive – NYT
27
SHARES
108
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Published: July 26, 2023 10:11 pm
Author: RT

Pentagon officials have reportedly claimed that Kiev is now pouring Western-trained reserves into the battlefront

A New York Times report has claimed that nearly two months after Ukraine launched its long-awaited counteroffensive against Russian forces, Kiev has begun the “main thrust” of the operation by deploying thousands of troops that had previously been held in reserve.

“Ukrainian officials have told US officials that the enlarged Ukrainian force would try to advance south through Russia’s minefields and other fortifications toward the city of Tokmak and, if successful, on to Melitopol, near the coast,” the NYT reported on Wednesday, citing two Pentagon officials who spoke on condition of anonymity. Many of the newly deployed soldiers were trained and equipped by Ukraine’s Western benefactors, according to the report.

The newspaper also cited interviews on Wednesday with Ukrainian forces who claimed they were “steadily pushing Russian troops back.” However, their progress has been “incremental, with no major breakthroughs. They have been slowed by minefields, and some said the biggest obstacles were withering artillery fire and airstrikes.”

Read more

Ukrainian soldiers fire toward Russian position on the frontline in Zaporozhye region, Russia, June 24, 2023
Russian military repels ‘massive’ Ukrainian offensive – defense ministry

The report dovetails with a statement earlier on Wednesday by the Russian Defense Ministry, which said the Ukrainian army had launched a “massive” assault with three battalions backed by tanks. Russian forces repelled the attack, preventing Kiev’s units from breaching their defensive lines near the village of Orekhov in the Zaporozhye Region. The ministry added that Ukraine had lost 22 tanks, ten infantry fighting vehicles and more than 100 troops in the battle.

Russian troops also repelled an attack on the village of Rabotinio and used airstrikes and artillery to thrash Ukrainian units near Malaya Tokmachka and Yablokovo. Ukrainian forces have lost tens of thousands of troops and thousands of pieces of heavy military hardware since the counteroffensive began in early June, according to the ministry.

The NYT said it was unable to verify Russian reports that the Ukrainian assaults had been stymied, but the newspaper did acknowledge that “little has gone according to plan” during the counteroffensive.

Kiev’s goal is to push south toward the Black Sea and sever the land bridge to Crimea – cutting off Russia’s ground access to Kherson Region – or at least advance far enough to bring the strategically key peninsula within artillery range. Russia has relied on Crimea as the base for its Black Sea fleet and a key supply hub for its forces in Donbass.


READ MORE: Kiev’s defense chief makes new excuses for counteroffensive failures

Ukrainian officials have told Washington that the operation, if successful, could take one to three weeks, the NYT said, adding, “Officials at the White House and Pentagon said on Wednesday that they were watching the increased activity with keen interest.” As one senior official told the newspaper, “This is the big test.”

Full Article

Tags: Russia Today
Share11Tweet7
Previous Post

Zelensky uses martial law to avoid election

Next Post

The Korean War veterans who never came home

Admin

Admin

Next Post

The Korean War veterans who never came home

thehopper.news

Copyright © 2023 The Hopper New

Navigate Site

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

*By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
    • Home
    • About
  • Video
    • Discussion
  • Geopolitics
  • Intel & Security
  • Foreign Affairs
  • News

Copyright © 2023 The Hopper New

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.